Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Experience errors in a test database refreshed from production

MYDBP is a production database (8i) with replication and in archivelog mode. MYDB3S is a test databe, intend to be standalone and in noarchivelog mode. I created database MYDB3S from RMAN backup of MYDBP using RMAN duplicate command. However, I have made two mistakes:


1. Dropped replication package, resulting in some triggers invalid

In some triggers, there is a condition check:

IF DBMS_REPUTIL.FROM_REMOTE
THEN
RETURN;
END IF;

While I executed the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catrepr.sql to remove replication catalog views, packages, etc, I dropped the DBMS_REPUTIL package among other things.

Solution: re-install replciation catalog views and package by issue:
$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catrep.sql

2. Failed to turn off archivelog mode
I only set archive_log_start=false in the init.ora. I should have issued
'alter system noarchivelog' in the mount mode too to really turn off the archivelog mode

No comments: