Monday, May 18, 2009

Check the content of the script before executing in production database

Last weekend, I supported the code release in a production database. There were 39 scripts to be executed. When I executed the 9th script, strange thing happened. Lots of scripts got executed which should not at that stage. This caused extra time to fix the mess. Checking the content of this script, I found that there are strange characters and some other scripts's content. I recalled that I tarred the whole scripts before I uploaded to the server. When I did the tar at the first time I issued the wrong syntax without providing the target file name. That was probably the reason that caused the 9th script garbged.

Bottom line is I should check the content of every script that is going to be dropped in the prodcution database. This is a big lesson.

No comments: