Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Set up a Simple Oracle Streams Replication

Based on the Metalink Note: 224255.1 : "Steps To Setup Replication Using Oracle Streams", I was trying to set up a streams replicatin for the scott.dept table from a soruce datbase TEST10G to a destination database TEST02DB. Both databases are 10g and on my notebook computer. However my first attempt was not successfuly. When I inserted a row into the source table, nothing happens in the destionation table.

Oracle Metalink Note: 273674.1: "Streams Configuration Report and Health Check Script" provides a script that can be used to retrieve all the infomation related to the Streams configuration and perform health check. I used this script to generate the report for the TEST10G and TEST02BD. As expected, the report shows that the setup for the Apply process in the destinaton database is not correct. The source database should use the global name. The global name of source database is TEST10G.world, however in the report the source database is specified by TEST10G.

Firstly, I issued the following statement in the destionatin database as strmadmin
BEGIN
DBMS_STREAMS_ADM.remove_streams_configuration;
END;
/

Then I redo the step 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and 4.2 as described in the Note: 273674.1. After that I inserted a row in the source scott.dept table and I see the same row got inserted into the destination table also. Replication is now working ...

No comments: